Drinking water shortages influence more than 3 billion people throughout the world. In the U.S., just about half the place experienced a drought after the most popular summer time on report in 2021, and the drought in the West now is considered to be a megadrought, the driest interval in the past 1,200 decades. This April is the driest on report in the place.
The base line: In Colorado, great gardeners conserve water. Retain that in intellect as we enter the active month of Could. Here are duties for any gardener’s checklist:
Early May possibly
• Clean up and sharpen backyard garden instruments.
• Modify the oil in your lawnmower, sharpen the blade, and replace the air filter, if wanted.
• Mugo pines may be your initial pruning obstacle of the season. Pinch or slash out two-thirds the duration of the “candles” of new development. You can also use this pinch process with other pines if you want to command their form.
• Plant perennials, raspberries, potted roses, container developed and balled and burlap trees and landscape shrubs. Seem for perennials marked “Plant Select” at your nearby nursery. These crops are grown for our area and will prosper in our demanding climate. Most of them will be labeled drought tolerant but recall all new vegetation will call for water right until established.
• Skinny seedlings of early planted crops this kind of as carrots, lettuce, spinach and beets.
• Stake peonies and delphinium.
• Commencing now, feed roses a balanced rose foods each and every six weeks in the course of the developing season.
• Relying on your area, start off planting annuals. In a lot of pieces of Colorado Springs, mid-May perhaps is the time to properly begin planting tender annuals. Check the climate forecast and your elevation! It’s not unconventional to have a really hard freeze in late May perhaps.
• Start planting gladiolus each two weeks as a result of June for a continuous sequence of blooms.
• If weather conditions stays warm, transfer seedlings outdoors but harden them off in a sheltered spot the 7 days before planting slowly exposing seedlings to more sunshine each individual day.
• Ordinary last frost date in city: May 10 to Could 15.
Late May possibly
• Transplant tomatoes into the yard, planting the crops 1 inch further than in the pot or even deeper.
• Plant corn, bean, pumpkin, squash, cucumber, and early-maturing melon seeds now if the soil is heat.
• Plant eggplant and pepper crops when the soil has arrived at at minimum 50 degrees.
• Prune early spring-flowering trees and shrubs this sort of as lilacs and forsythia soon after bouquets fade.
• Harvest asparagus stalks bigger than 3-eighths inch right up until about the close of June. Slash just at soil amount.
• Plant annual seeds outdoors the very last week of Might. Some prompt bouquets are zinnias, salvia and nasturtiums. If you want to expand yearly vines you might attempt hyacinth bean vine (Lablab purpureus), a Plant Decide on plant with placing purple bouquets and deep purple seed pods. A further great choice is cardinal flower vine. Its trumpet-shaped flowers and feathery, deep inexperienced foliage is a massive strike with hummingbirds.
Email gardening questions to email@example.com. For extra information, check out facebook.com/ ColoradoMasterGardeners.EPC. To signal up for courses, go to epcextension.eventbrite.com.