Early in the New Year, wintertime-flowering camellias (Camellia japonica) will commence displaying their stunning blooms. The wide variety pictured listed here is ‘Higo Ohkan.’
Image/NC Condition Extension
Soon after the vacation time we are usually dreaming of heat weather conditions days and obtaining back into our gardens. Even nevertheless it is cold outside, there are some points we can be carrying out to prep our gardens for all those hotter times. Use these gardening tips to get edge of any not-so-cold times in January.
General backyard garden guidelines
- Make positive your tools are ready for the spring rising season. Sharpen any cutting applications you have and change the oil in any motorized backyard gear.
- Add lime to your yard and landscape if your soil check final results advisable introducing lime. Lime can take numerous months to change the soil pH, so including it now will give it time to function before the developing year.
- Command wintertime weeds these as wild garlic and chickweed with a broadleaf herbicide on a heat day according to the label.
- Keep away from heavy website traffic on dormant lawns to protect against the crown of the plant remaining ruined or killed.
Trees, shrubs and bouquets
- Early in the New 12 months, wintertime-flowering camellias (Camellia japonica) will get started exhibiting their gorgeous blooms. Love their exhibit, but be vigilant to rake up and dispose of any used blossoms that fall to the ground. These fallen bouquets are breeding materials for petal blight, a fungal ailment that can discolor future blooms with hideous splotches of brown.
- This time of the yr is a fantastic time to mulch landscape beds. Beds are less complicated to entry all through this time of calendar year when there is a lot less foliage and crops have died down.
- H2o crops just in advance of a chilly snap to assistance crops endure bitter temperatures.
- Research your property landscape to see what additions or enhancements can be made this spring.
- Take pleasure in winter blooming perennials this kind of as hellebores, rosemary and camellias.
- Property crops with big leaves and smooth foliage, such as philodendrons, dracaena and rubber plant benefit if their leaves are washed at intervals to take away dust and grime, encouraging hold the leaf pores open up.
Fruits, veggies and herbs
- Get your modest fruit plants like strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry for a mid-March planting.
- January and February are the periods to prune grapevines.
- You can start out interesting season greens (broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, kale, lettuce, mustard, onions, yard peas, radishes, rutabagas, spinach, and turnips) indoors from seed in January. Plant these interesting-season veggie outdoors in the backyard in February.
- Plant asparagus crowns this month when soil is dry sufficient to do the job.
- When examining your yard catalogs for new kinds to consider, an critical thing to consider is enhanced insect and/or condition resistance. Check out also for drought-tolerant forms.
Jessica Strickland is an agriculture extension agent, specializing in horticulture for North Carolina Cooperative Extension in Wayne County.