February not only delivers extra chilly temperatures, but with Valentines day, it also places romance in the air — even for skunks.
That is right, February marks the get started of the skunk breeding year. If you assumed they were being sleeping the wintertime absent, Skunks do not officially hibernate. They do come to be “slow” or dormant for around a thirty day period through the coldest section of the winter season suitable prior to breeding year.
Skunks are ordinarily nocturnal, but just like deer, daytime exercise boosts significantly all through breeding period, and we need to expect to see them on the prowl at any time more than the next month to six weeks. And we can hope to see them any place — in your property, driving your barn, on your porch, and even less than your tires as you go down the highway.
Just like deer in November, you will probable discover additional roadkill skunk this thirty day period than other critters, and see them in a great deal of not-so-regular locations. If you have skunks inhabiting your barn or other framework and you want to relieve the difficulty, now is the time to do so ahead of they have their young. With a gestation time period of seven to 10 months, grown ups have their youthful in the course of the initially portion of Could, and yearlings all through the initial element of June.
Ordinarily, they only have one litter a yr, with in between four to six kittens, or “kits” for small. Due to the fact they keep with their moms until finally fall you will naturally want to remove your skunk challenge right before the kittens are born.
In accordance to the Ohio Department of organic Assets internet site, Skunks seldom induce damage to residence other than raiding garbage or consuming pet food items. They in some cases reside under buildings or in rock and wooden piles.
A couple of ideas for dealing with skunks include:
• In confined areas skunks or opossums may be pushed absent by putting an ammonia-soaked towel in the den.
• Put in a a person-way door until finally you are confident the animal(s) have remaining, then permanently seal the entrance.
• An animal that gets trapped in a window effectively will climb out if you put a tough board in the perfectly that extends to the best.
• You should not chase or excite a skunk, you know what that sales opportunities to!
Some Approaching Activities:
• The community is invited to a particular presentation by Helen Hollis on March 23. She will be talking on the declining chimney swift birds and how we can assistance construct their inhabitants. This distinctive presentation will be held in the huge convention space at the Sandusky County extension building found at 2000 Countryside Dr. from 6 to 8 p.m. For more facts call Sue at the extension office environment at 419-334-6340 and go away a information.
• Toledo Grows will have their Seed Swap on Feb. 26, at Scott Large University, 2400 Collingwood Ave., Toledo from midday till 3 p.m. Admission is free of charge. You will receive 10 tickets for seed packets. You can invest in further packets for 50 cents every or carry your very own seeds to swap. They will have to be dated 2022, packaged, labeled. No bulk seeds. There are children’s pursuits, gardening shows, and loads of plant awareness. Masks are demanded.
Allen Gahler is an Ohio State University Extension Educator.