Place: Lead Grower – Fernie Container Farm
Deadline to apply: July 15th, 2022
Scope: Element-time – 20 hours/7 days
Concentrate on Commence Day: Late Sept 2022
Locale: Fernie, BC
Wildsight Elk Valley – Guide Grower – Hydroponic Container Farm
Are you passionate about foods, your group, and the atmosphere? If so, look at becoming a member of our workforce as Wildsight Elk Valley is wanting for a Guide Grower for our new social enterprise, the Fernie Container Farm at the EcoGarden in Fernie, BC. This position needs a self-motivated, dynamic person to function 20-hours a 7 days. This aspect-time deal situation pays $20-25 per hour, depending on knowledge and begins late September 2022. Applicants will have to be BC citizens that can legally perform in Canada and reside in the Elk Valley.
The Direct Grower at the Fernie Container Farm will be responsible for the hydroponic generation of leafy greens in a controlled ecosystem container farm. Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Direct Grower will be liable for the operation of the hydroponic container farm – including seeding, transplanting, harvesting, cleaning, packing, and distribution. The Lead Grower will be passionate about hydroponic rising and plants. They will be an energetic, forward-thinking, and inventive individual with high criteria and excellent judgment. The place will start out with a 2-7 days training at a container farm in Whitehorse, Yukon with the set up of the Fernie Container Farm using spot in October.
- Escalating – day-to-day operation, planning growing make any difference, seeding, germination procedures, and transferring seedlings.
- Preparing – all features of plant creation like: crop arranging, nutrient & seed stock and source management.
- Maintaining – clean up and maintain the tools and site. Utilize farm automation software package that gives obtain into the farming container functions.
- Checking – Testing and checking suitable established points for temperature, humidity, water pH and nutrient concentration, as properly as watering and lighting schedules for crops making use of automatic program controls.
- HARVESTING – getting ready crops for distribution e.g. trimming, washing. Verify high quality of merchandise.
- PACKAGING – satisfying orders, weighing and packaging goods, cleaning and tracking reusable containers.
- DISTRIBUTION – load item and assistance with buy deliveries. Sort orders by supply working day and route. Coordination of product delivery to faculties, foodstuff bank, dining establishments and Nearby.
- Safety – Carry out all jobs although upholding superior security and food stuff basic safety criteria.
- Communicating – Use Basecamp task management application to communicate with schools. Co-deliver well timed, and partaking of social media and other on the web written content.
- TEAMWORK – Work in a team setting and collaborate properly with youth, administrators, and volunteers. Critique plant manufacturing designs and report observations which includes plant abnormalities and hydroponic unit concerns and with Farm Manager.
- Manual LABOR – such as standing the entire shift, repetitive hand duties, gripping, pinching, pulling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, achieving, and twisting, doing work in a heat hydroponic environment on a every day foundation. Skill to persistently lift 20-40 lbs
- Passion for regional, sustainable food and local community
- Superb communication techniques
- Superior interpersonal and teamwork techniques
- Organizational and trouble-solving techniques
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional time administration capabilities
- Laptop or computer literate
- Committed environmental ethic
- Superior attention to depth in an evolving, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated capability for self-directed and unsupervised perform
- Past encounter in controlled ecosystem agriculture is not a necessity. Experience escalating crops, both hydroponically and/or typically is a plus. Expertise of essential agricultural increasing techniques, hydroponics, preceding challenge management practical experience, get the job done with social business is an asset.
How to Use
Wildsight is dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion in our choosing procedures and do the job surroundings and we inspire women of all ages, people of color, people today of indigenous ancestry and LGBTQ2+ people to utilize for this position.
Deadline to use is July 15th, 2022. We will respond through email to all candidates by July 20th, 2022.
Be sure to ship your resume (utmost 2 internet pages) and include letter (utmost 1 web page) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Elk Valley Branch of Wildsight is an BC registered non-earnings organization, governed by an engaged Board of Administrators and supported by lively associates and volunteers. Our work aims to advertise environmental stewardship and conservation in our neighborhood.
Meals safety, entry to locally created food and food stuff-growing area are priorities for the Elk Valley Branch. Our passionate volunteers designed and manage the Neighborhood EcoGarden, the Chilly Local weather Seed Library, ToolShare and not too long ago launched a social business retailer, Community, which aims to assistance group-driven meals. The Fernie Container Farm will be operated as a social company. We function with each other with Wildsight Regional and the five other Wildsight branches.
Wildsight’s vision is to encourage a shared neighborhood need to secure our purely natural earth for long run generations. We imagine substantial and linked wild spaces for wildlife—from grizzly bears to woodpeckers to trout. We imagine thoroughly clean air and apparent h2o functioning from mountain watersheds to our lakes. We see thriving and sustainable communities produced up of engaged and educated citizens.